Thursday, November 03, 2005

small beginnings

As mode of catharsis and time pass I venture into thee.

So what am I up to? Besides phaffing around and the daily ritual of looking at furthering my CV, I am trying to learn two languages. Sanskrit and Tamil.

Sanskrit, because I love its verses. I love the way everything about it appears to be linked to the divine. I’m honestly trying to go through an abridged snippet version of the Upanishads. Most of whatever I read fits in with my own core beliefs. Yeah, a case of the stupid judging the wise. But I need to question. The interpreter’s text is always poetic, always beautiful, and sometimes so nihilistic. The self within must be realized, not learnt, or sensed. Rituals will not get you there, he actually says that rituals are too feeble a raft to be navigating through samsara, and the participants are like the blind leading the blind. That’s a Hindu telling a Hindu 'most of what you do is crap dude'. Leave what ever you do and go find a teacher, and through his teachings realize the self. Obviously this would have meant the end of a religion, because there would be none to live and procreate, so there are other Upanishad’s, which differ in thought. And of course best of all they always end in Om shanti shanti shanti:

Tamil because I was born into this language but never gave it the importance it deserves. Honestly I am finding the going tough because both of them are so complex. But as with all my projects, I have a lifetime to realize their completion.

No comments: